David Folden, MD
- Cataract & Advanced Cataract Surgery
- Clear Lens Exchange
- LASIK & PRK
- Light Adjustable Lens (LAL)
- Comprehensive Eye Care
- Glaucoma Management
- LASIK & PRK Consultations
- Coon Rapids
- Edina LASIK Center
David Folden, MD
Dr. Folden specializes in cataract, LASIK, and refractive lens implant surgery. He is certified on the LENSARTM femtosecond laser for cataract surgery, ZiemerTM femtosecond laser, and the WaveLight® EX500 topographic-guided excimer laser, providing customized refractive cataract surgery, LASIK, and PRK.
His interest and expertise in cataract surgery includes the use of the LENSARTM femtosecond laser. As an early adopter of femtosecond laser technology, he is now among the most experienced laser cataract surgeons in the state of Minnesota. Dr. Folden was also instrumental in bringing Light Adjustable LensTM (LAL) technology to Minneapolis-St. Paul and is the area’s most experienced LAL surgeon. As a board-certified ophthalmologist, Dr. Folden has performed over 15,000 cataract, LASIK, and refractive eye surgeries.
Dr. Folden has designed surgical instruments used by laser cataract surgeons worldwide, enhancing safety and comfort for patients undergoing this procedure. He is active in research, publishing his work in various journals including the Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, Clinical Ophthalmology, and the American Journal of Ophthalmology.
His experience with Advanced Technology (AT) Intraocular Lenses (IOLs) includes the LAL, accommodating, multifocal, extended depth of focus (EDOF) and astigmatism-correcting (Toric) IOLs. He was the first resident surgeon at the University of Minnesota to implant AT IOLs, which give patients undergoing eye surgery reduced dependence on glasses, bifocals, and/or contact lenses.
Dr. Folden was born in Minot, North Dakota, and later attended high school in Fergus Falls, Minnesota, where he was Valedictorian of his high school class. He then graduated Magna Cum Laude from Bethel University, where he received his Bachelor of Science degree. Before beginning medical school, Dr. Folden worked as a high school math and physics teacher and was a baseball coach. He then received his medical degree (MD) from the University of North Dakota where he gained recognition for his research in cardiac physiology and infectious disease. Dr. Folden then completed his internship at Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) and his ophthalmology residency at the University of Minnesota where he received awards for outstanding patient care, clinical skills (Harry Plotke Award), and scientific research (Harry Friedman Research Award).
- Surgical Residency:
University of Minnesota
Hennepin County Medical Center
Transitional Year Program
- Medical School:
University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Science, Doctor of Medicine (MD)
Bethel University, St. Paul, MN, Bachelor of Science, Biology
Awards and Recognitions
- Mpls. St Paul Magazine “Top Docs” multiple years
- Minnesota Monthly Magazine “Top Doctors in Minnesota” multiple years
- Mpls. St Paul Magazine “Top Docs Rising Stars” multiple years
- Sightpath Medical Top Cataract Surgeon 2013
- Best Cataract Surgeons In America (BCA) 2022-present
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Minnesota Academy of Ophthalmology
- Folden D.V., Wong J.R. (2022) Visual Outcomes of an Enhanced UV Protected Light Adjustable Lens Using a Novel Co-Managed, Open-Access Methodology. Clinical Ophthalmology 16:2413-2420
- Folden, D.V. (2021) August Consultation #5. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery 47:8, 1098-1099
- Folden, D.V., Groves, N. (2015) Surgeon-designed tool eases opening of laser-created corneal incisions. Double-ended dissector combines semi-blunted leading tip with sharp-edge design. Ophthalmology Times 40:8, 23
- Cooke, D.L., Davison, J.A., Folden, D.V., Holladay, J.T., Masket, S. (2014) Treating, eliminating negative dysphotopsia. EyeWorld 19:4, 38-42
- Folden, D.V. (2013) Neodymium:YAG laser anterior capsulectomy: Surgical option in the management of negative dysphotopsia. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery 39:7, 1110-1115
- Folden, D.V., Kramarevsky, N.Y., Brown, C.D., Kaufman, S.C. (2008) Microkeratome Cut Time as a Variable in Endothelial Keratoplasty Graft Thickness. Archives of Ophthalmology (submitted)
- Folden, D.V., Kramarevsky, N.Y., Brown, C.D., Kaufman, S.C. (2008) Intrachamber Pressure and Donor Corneal Thickness in an Artificial Anterior Chamber System. Archives of Ophthalmology (submitted)
- Folden, D.V., Wu, C.W., Hardten, D.R., Afiat, S., Mellema, P.A., Hoffman, G.M., Voelker, P.A., Melicher Larson, J.S., Connett, J.E., Doughman, D.J. (2009) Use of Cobalt Blue Light in Grading Cataract and Estimating Vision Loss. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery 35:2, 312-317
- Folden, D.V., Lee, M.S., Ryan, E.J., Jr. (2008) Interferon Beta-1 Alpha Associated Retinopathy in Patients Treated for Multiple Sclerosis. Neurology 70:13 (Part 2), 1153-1155
- Olsen, T.W., Feng, X., Wabner, K., Contson, S.R., Sierra, D., Folden, D.V., Smith, M.E., Cameron, J.D. (2006) Cannulation of the Suprachoroidal Space: A Novel Drug Delivery Methodology to the Posterior Segment. American Journal of Ophthalmology 142:5, 777-787
- Folden, D.V., Machayya, J.A., Sahmoun, A.E., Beal, J.R., Holzman, G.S., Helgerson, S.D., Lo, T.S. (2005) Estimating the proportion of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: two definitions used in the USA yield dramatically different estimates. Journal of Hospital Infection 60, 329-332
- Folden, D.V., Gupta, A., Sharma, A.C., Li, S.Y., Saari J.T., Ren, J. (2003) Malondialdehyde inhibits cardiac contractile function in ventricular myocytes via a p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent mechanism. British Journal of Pharmacology 139, 1310-1316
- Folden, D.V., Jones, W. (1999) Promoter Analysis of the Human Prostate-Specific, Homeobox Gene, NKX3.1. BIOS 70:4, 158-165
Dr. Folden and his wife have two young children. For entertainment, he enjoys downhill skiing, video games, reading, local restaurants, and travel.